Friday, June 5, 2009

"Junk Yards, wind farms and scenic mountain views"




Secretary side note: I apologize for not posting days 17-19 before you posted day 20. I won't let this happen again hikers. But here we go....

Day 17: 
*Desert! Back to the desert! And not any desert-this desert began as a winding switchback for 10 miles with the morning sun beating down on the side of the mountain we were hiking on then proceeded to unravel into the valley(102 degrees F) where we walked another 5 miles across barren desert wasteland in gale-force winds. Our refuge: lunch under an interstate overpass. Quite a fine contrast of urban and rural - eating lunch below cars, staring out over the power lines at these beautiful, stoic humbling San Jacinto mountain peaks. And finally we descended into a washed out river valley to sleep. Paul has resorted to cowboy camping(sleeping under the stars without a tent). Ben keeps his snake sightings at dusk to himself.

*We walked through the middle of a wind farm all afternoon. I guess the wind shouldn't have been a surprise. During our hobo style lunch, Ben kept searching through all the trash piles "in case someone left something good behind." SSN(Secretary Side Note): Ben you are trashy.

Day 18:
*LONG....and hot walking up a river valley for over 10 miles. Just when we'd had enough, we found a brilliant little cliff overhang right next to the river which we decided to lunch at. More of the same for the second half of the day. Needless to say, it felt LONG. 

*A very long, hot day. Then we had our coldest night yet. I sealed myself into my mummy sleeping bag and fell asleep to the scent of feet and farts.

Day 19:
*As Paul struggles to make sense of the world in the absence of his summer sausage and cheese, we swiftly approach Big Bear City for resupply. Stinky and hungry, we persevere. It's Memorial Day Weekend, but no holiday trail magic has crossed our paths (except for a cooler of fruit next to a recliner chair in the middle of the woods, which was excellent). And some sweet domestic wildlife: 6 llamas, 2 grizzlies, 1 tiger, and 1 panther. It sounds more daring and brave if we don't tell you the truth(but they were real, we promise, and we saw them on the trail!)

5 comments:

  1. Great transcribing, Secretary! I think the word is barren, but I know how Ben's handwriting is on occasion. You sure did a fine job. Thanks for more updates. I seem to be the only (lonely) person commenting on this blog, but that's okay. As the rest of the world knows, I am an obsessive follower. Paul's parents -- please post! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello my hiker friends. Sounds like you are having an amazing adventure. I am truly jealous of your hiking. I wish I could be there with you. I only check the updates when I can get internet, which is about once a week when I am in town. Keep updating, its good reading. Until next time, enjoy the desert.

    Cousin Mike

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that I know how to post comments, you won't be able to stop me. And...I now have time since Schooooooool's OUT - FOR - SUMMER!!
    We have really enjoyed reading about your adventure (except for the snakes and Paul not using a tent), and seeing the pictures. It is hard to imagine a son of mine wanting to hike, since I don't even like to walk around the block! I guess you take after your dad.
    Well, keep safe and keep calling.
    Love,
    The other mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. So now you have two moms writing and we both have much, much more time since Schoooool's OUT-FOR-SUMMER (well, by Friday anyway)! Look out readers, here we go.... Keep writing mom, I love to feel connected while our boys are doing things unimaginable to me...hiking with rattlesnakes, cyotes, bears, and who knows what else! I know they will take good care of each other. Happy Blog Hiking! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love reading about your adventures!
    Cousin Allison :)

    ReplyDelete